To my readers......

SITE UPDATE NOTICE

Thanks for visiting mitchmen, home of Mitchell's Gay Art

The Caps and Collars/ Flat Cap Gang story at Google Groups is on a summer break until July. (see Group News for link)

Message updated 25th June 2023

Friday 8 October 2021

Royale Studio 01d - Sailors Fighting in the Rigging

 

Hussar Studio - Sailors Wrestling in the Rigging
 

I recently stumbled across this image of two sailors in very tight shorts grappling in the ship's rigging. It's attributed to Hussar Studio which was a subsidiary of Royale Studio*. It's a typical Royale image, with suggestive juxtapositiong of legs and crotches, invisible groping, skimpy tight shorts and a great bottom shot. I haven't seen their grappling and rigging themes combined before, this set is completely new to me. 

~

 I found this new image on an auction site which is why it's not a proper, frontal copy, just a snap intended to promote the sale. Annoyingly, it's quite good quality otherwise! 

It's from a 1960's vintage magazine, Body Beautiful 22, which I believe was published in May 1963 so this enables us to tentatively date the rigging pictures in a slightly later period than those covered by the catalogues I possess. See also 'Another Topless Sailor in the Rigging'


 


If you have a copy and are willing to send in a better image I'd be very glad to hear from you (e-mail me via my 'Contact Me' page). I suspect from the magazine contents list (which was also provided by the seller) that there may be more Royale images inside. 

I don't know who the cute cover model is, I think he's a Troy Saxon man, not Royale.


 ~

*I don't know if there was any particular rationale behind the Hussar-Royale differentiation, the 'storyettes' seem similar in content and the models are much the same. As you can see above, Hussar was formerly Dolphin Studio and presumably acquired by Royale. I don't know if  the photographer was acquired too or just the brand and business (mailing lists were gold dust in that era). 

I included a Hussar set in the original Royale postings at mitchmen in 2013:- Royale 18 'The PT Class' which is officially known as 'Jim Nasium', I believe, see reference above. 

 

 The mitchmen 'Royale Studio' Series continues with Royale Studio 02 - 'Navy Romeo'

~


Upgrade of Royale Studio Posts at mitchmen

This completely new article is the 4th post in the 'Rigging' Series and has been added to the original mitchmen Royale series (2010) which is currently being extensively revised and extended.
To see which articles have been revised to date, please check the 'Come and Get It!' post

Read the new series of Royale Studio articles at mitchmen from the start:-
Royale 1 - Sailors Flogged in the Rigging

You can also access all the old and the new and revised articles
simply by clicking on the 'GIU/Royale' label at the foot of this post

 

'mitchmen' Royale Studio Open Archive
 
As an adjunct to the article upgrade I am gradually creating an archive housing my entire collection of Royale images. I have added this latest image to the existing Royale 01 'Sailor in the Rigging' folder at the mitchmen Royale Studio Open Archive and if you follow the link below you will find there's also a new zip file there which includes them all for easy downloading. 

mitchmen archive for:-  Royale Studio 01 - Sailors in the Rigging v3

  Please tell me via my profile link if you have any difficulty downloading 
 
~

If you have any other Royale images from this or previously published groups and would like to add them to the mitchmen Open Archive please contact me via my profile page link. 

2 comments:

JohnF said...

The cover man looks like Troy Saxon himself.

Mitchell said...

Thanks, you could be right,there is certainly a resemblance.