To my readers......

SITE UPDATE NOTICE

Thanks for visiting mitchmen, home of Mitchell's Gay Art

The Caps and Collars/ Flat Cap Gang story at Google Groups is on a summer break until July. (see Group News for link)

Message updated 25th June 2023

Wednesday 19 August 2009

In Praise of Y-Fronts - 2. Catalogues


I don't imagine I am the only person in the world whose adolescent development was lit up by images of men in newspapers, pictures from football matches and other sporting events and adverts selling men's underwear. Later I discovered Shopping Catalogues and feasted my eyes on the wide selection of garments on offer.



These underwear ads were the most exciting because they showed garments that were supposed to be hidden from view and worn by handsome young men too. I loved the way these ads placed men in underwear in situations where they ought to be fully dressed – it was quite shocking to my youthful sensibilities – and unbelievably sexy.
.


The sop to 'decency' was that the models always wore vests as well as pants, so no nipples or belly buttons, which might inflame the reader, were visible - even through the cotton. The vests were always tucked into the pants and the tackle was generally morphed into a smooth unrecognisable lump. One of the pictures shown here seems to have slipped through the last test.

Read Part 3


2 comments:

lamlamblam said...

Lol I remember this image!! I cut it out of the catalogue too

Mitchell said...

That's brilliant!Thanks. I still love these pictures. I notice the second one appears to have something dark stuffed inside the willy pocket - to enhance his size?