To my readers......

SITE UPDATE NOTICE

Thanks for visiting mitchmen, home of Mitchell's Gay Art

The Caps and Collars/ Flat Cap Gang story at Google Groups is on a summer break until July. (see Group News for link)

Message updated 25th June 2023

Thursday 5 November 2009

Mitchell's A-Z of Fetish Art - Letter 'J' Summary

Well, what a cavalcade of talent the letter 'J' unearthed! These Artists represent several decades of erotic fetish art. The range of styles makes comparison well nigh impossible – we have the unrestrained enthusiasm of JF, Justin and Jayse, the impressive draughtsmanship of Jackal, the stylish cartoons of Jotto, the artistic technique of Tom Jones and Jame. In terms of subject matter we have seen the welcome depictions of older men by Joseph and Julius, the fascinating bondage scenarios of JoeT and JX and of course the iconic spanking images of Jonathan.

I usually pick a favourite but this selection is very hard to separate. In terms of pure artistry, Jackal would have to be the choice. His combination of superb drawing and semi-fantastical settings is, in a sense, the epitome of leather oriented fetish. For sensuality I would choose between Jotto's scarily fascinating 'Young Man in Peril' pictures and JF's bulky, rope-squeezed musclemen, who have a strange power to get my juices going! (Tom Jones' kisses are highly erotic but don't count as fetish). Story-telling is also important and in this department it's got to be JoeT or Jonathan with Jotto close behind. Any one of these artists would be worthy winners in a less crowded group.

However, if I have to choose I think it has to be Jonathan for his inventiveness, restrained sexuality and atmospheric settings.
Jonathan - Leatherdad SF
I've chosen the illustration to reflect some of my favourite themes which you might not associate with Jonathan – Leather, shaving and an very adult looking man being humiliated. As with all Jonathan's stuff, look at the detail. The position of the victim with his backside parked up against the cold enamel basin conjures up in my min
d an equally erotic, 'prequel' image of his hole being lathered up with the shaving brush preparatory to the razor. Nice!

-->
Readers of this blog are most welcome to contribute their own opinions on individual artists, which I will publish, even if they differ from mine.

For earlier articles in this series click on the label A-Z below.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big boots and bare backsides always do it for me. I guess the boots and leather suggest a really rough, tough kind of bloke - so when he loses his pants its all the more humiliating. I think there is also the suggestion that this guy was pretty hairy prior to the shave. and the hand and the spanker is delivering more of a SPLAT than a spank to a backside that's never been quite so bare before. Judging by the reflection in the mirror and the expression on the guy's face he's pretty shocked by the level of exposure and vulnerability and there is the suggestion of some frantic clenching and puckering going on back there.

Oh yes. Jonathan has a wicked mind!

Anonymous said...

Hello Mitch,
Thanks for this delightful examination of drawing artists. That the letter J showed up so many "competing" nasty pen/cil workers cums as a surprise to me. However, I don't envy you the ordeal to pick out ONE artist.

Julius could easily have been the one climbing onto the top of that rostrum. Apart from his fabulous idéas and skill to utilize our secret dreams for man-to man "doings" - I would also point out the unbelievable amount of drawings in his booklets!

Jayse represents an another kind of erotica artist. His "effective" hyper exaggerated(but thinkable!?) sizes of the man-tools is a boyish and boisterous version of how it can be done and performed--in a most stimulating way!--to each his own!

In a way I like your choice of Jonathan because spanking images works wery well for me. Especially the OTK. Seeing a "real" men over the knee of a real man knowing how to educate is yum-yum!. And to watch the victim's understanding of his humilation and new place in his life is very erotic. Extra plus for Jonathan's preferance to all those onlookers, enjoying the scenery!
Soo, after all, Jonathan was a good choice. But I would not be surprised if folks wish to lay you (Mitch)on their knee and spank you for not giving Julius the gold medal!

Bravo Andi!-you made very good comments about Jonathan.
-Filibur-

Mitchell said...

It's worth explaining that I ruled Julius out early on because he's not really a fetish artist in my book. It's a bit arbitrary I know but I had to cut the list down somehow! Likewise Josman whose pics are fabulous. I do like Julius's pictures apart from a few reservations which I mentioned in my piece on him. My main grumble is that I find him a bit repetitive. So whilst I avidly collect every piece I can find by other artists I'm happy to just keep a selection of favourites by Julius. I feel much the same about The Hun. I suppose critics might say they feel the same about Jonathan, fair enough, it's just the way I feel.

Anonymous said...

I think Jonathan was a worthy winner for the letter J. While there are other artists whose draughtsmanship is technically better (and your site has been an education in the range that exists)I feel there are few as talented at creating a story and imbuing it with emotion.

He was one of the first spanking artists I discovered and his work continues to spark my imagination as I find new examples.