To my readers......

SITE UPDATE NOTICE

Thanks for visiting mitchmen, home of Mitchell's Gay Art

The Caps and Collars/ Flat Cap Gang story at Google Groups is on a summer break until July. (see Group News for link)

Message updated 25th June 2023

Sunday 13 April 2008

Evolution of a mitchmen picture

This picture illustrates the way I refine my pictures once the image is defined. The face in this image is a detail of the workman from the Building Site Incident story which I'm publishing soon. The original face I drew was quite latin in type but I didn't want the rather pouty mouth. Experimenting with the smile produced the second image - more anglo saxon and very cheeky. Still not right. I then went for the serious mouth in the third image which tidied up to produce the final version. This evolution shows how quite small changes to mouth and eyes can produce dramatically different results in facial appearance.

Following on the theme of my last post I now have the problem of numbering these images. They are basically the same picture and the paper version which now exists is version 4. But I want to keep all the variants for posterity. Looks like more suffixes are called for!

No comments: