To my readers......

SITE UPDATE NOTICE

Thanks for visiting mitchmen, home of Mitchell's Gay Art

The Caps and Collars/ Flat Cap Gang story at Google Groups is on a summer break until July. (see Group News for link)

Message updated 25th June 2023

Wednesday 26 March 2008

The next 'mitchmen' series - S&M Clinic flyer


For the last couple of weeks Mitchell has been publishing his series of drawings entitled 'Inspired by Tom' at his 'mitchmen' Yahoo! Group. Now he lifts the veil off of future plans:-

"Now the Tom of Finland series is complete I am settling down to prepare the next release which is 'S&M Clinic'. I have much of this set already sketched out in 3 different scenes but it's going to take a bit of work to thread it all together. All I presently have is pictures and some notes on how to put them together. A complete narrative will be required and also some new pictures to start and end and join the existing bits together into a coherent whole. I've attached a sample of the developing artwork.

This is quite a normal process for me. When putting sets together I usually start with a selection of drawings which may or may not have been conceived as an entity. At this stage the written story only exists in my head - and may have been there for many years. For example, the Press Gang story published last year originated as a set of 5 drawings in 1988.

I start the process of developing the story on paper looking out for additional artwork that can fit in with the story. I usually revisit these drawings and tidy them up, sometimes adding in appropriate backgrounds. I also prepare new drawings needed to fill gaps in the evolving storyline.

Alongside this I polish up the narrative into a proper plot making sure all the pictures are woven together and if possible incorporating mystery threads that add interest to the story as it is serialised.

The final stage is to cross reference the narrative and pictures and scale down the drawings, adding in copyright and web address info.

Unfortunately at this time of year my partners business starts to get busy and that makes it's own demands on my time but we'll see how it goes. If I find too long a gap developing I will post some other material. Fortunately the next series which is Neighbourhood Cops, Part 2 is in a much more advanced state so I have a fall back position!"

Mitchell

1 comment:

AceHeel said...

I enjoy reading the insight into your process. Neat to hear about how you develop these fantasies, and that some of them have been with you for years.